Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Ricks Burgers Tacos in Pasadena California


This little unassuming Burger stand sits at the corner of El Molino and Foothill Blvd in Pasadena, California. It opened a year before I was born and has survived the onslaught of mediocre fast food chains and other competition over the years. What it may not be able to overcome is a developer that can make more money from Condos after buying the land the Rick's sits under. Fortunately the present real estate market has put the development on hold so we get to enjoy Rick's a few more times.

Rick's has been part of my life for many years. Just after I was born we lived in a place just three blocks away from Rick's (which was later bulldozed to build Interstate 210). My mother would put me in my stroller and push me down there so she could have lunch.

I cannot tell you how many meals I have had at Rick's over the years. I have never found a place that makes a combo bean/beef burrito that could compare to Rick's.

After leaving Southern California for green pastures, I still would stop at Rick's ever time I would return for whatever reason. Then on my trip in November of 2006 I saw the announcement that Rick's was being forced to either move or close.

I took this picture on the way to my brothers house in Victorville, California thinking it my be the last time I see this place that has been a part of my life for so many years.

Well I have been able to enjoy Rick's a few more times since that trip and hopefully we can enjoy it again in April when we make another trip to Southern California.

No comments: