Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Long Dead but still around


In November 2006 when my wife and I were on extended vacation in Southern California to visit family plus hit some sights, we passed this sign but we did not have the opportunity to stop since we were on our way to visit my Uncle.

In October, 2007 we made another trip down there before taking Amtrak's Coast Starlight up to Seattle so I made sure to have a few minutes to get a picture of this sign.

So what's so special about this sign.

Well for those that are not familiar with the company, Fedco was a chain of stores (I think there were similar to a K-Mart of the time but I am not sure since I never was in one). However, this chain died probably 20 or 25 years ago.

So the fact that this sign which is near the San Bernardino/Colton on Mt. Vernon along what was US Highway 91 is still around is amazing. A friendly reminder of retailing history much like the old Woolworth store in Bakersfield, California that is now an antique store but still has the Woolworth sign and trim.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: